You can rent The Colonial for your event or performance.
The Colonial Theatre is a 501(c)3 nonprofit performing arts center. Built in 1923, the theatre opened its doors in January of 1924. In the mid 1940s, the stage was condemned and a large movie screen (Cinemascope) was installed permanently in front of the stage.
Years of neglect followed.
Renovations began in the early 1990s. The interior was replastered and painted, and seats were replaced. The stage area and dressing rooms were remodeled, and a new fly-rigging system was installed. What was once described as “the most modern technical facility in New England” is now an outstanding historic venue boasting ample power for sound and light, knowledgeable non-union crews, and an extremely intimate house with excellent acoustics.
The following is a detailed list of our inventories, abilities, and policies.
- Maple hot-sprung deck: 47.5″ from pit level
- Proscenium: 33′ 7″
- Depth: 23′ 6″ (add 2’ apron)
- Wings: 23′ 6″ deep, 16′ (wide with DR stairwell SR)
- SL stepped entry to deck and stage door; SR ramped entry to deck
- Enclosed crossover behind upstage wall, 4′ 0″ wide w/emergency exit
- 44″ x 64″ non-hinged trap door USC
- 32′ x 8′ thrust extension (available upon prior request)
- Step units from house to deck available upon request
- Film projection booth 103′ from plaster line
- Balcony rail 63′ 4″ from plaster line
- Loading dock height: 2′ 6″ from pavement
- Loading dock door: 12′ h x 8′ 6″ w
- Direct access to stage
- Dock/space will accommodate 48′ trailer
- Trucks and buses may not idle while at dock
- No shore line is available
- Minimal storage for dead cases
- 2 – 200 amp three phase services SL (cam locks only)
- 1 – 400 amp three phase services stage left (cam locks only)
- 6 floor pockets (stage pin & Edison non-patchable)
- Light board: Strand ETC 48/96 channel – 12 subs programmable
- CD-80 dimmer, 54 available (30 on stage, 24 FOH fixed)
- Telex system; 3 muffs and belt packs; additional sets available with advanced notice
ALTMAN LIGHTING INVENTORY
- 16 – 6 x 9 Lekos (750 W)
- 8 – 6 x 12 Lekos (750 W)
- 9 – 6 x 16 Lekos (750 W fixed)
- 4 – 8″ Fresnels (1000 W)
- 8 – 6″ Fresnels (500 W)
- 16 – Par 64 MFL (1000 W)
- 12 – Source Four Zooms (fixed)
- 2 – Altman Voyager Long-Throw (available on prior request only) *House operators only
MULTI CABLE: 2@ 100′, 2@ 80′, 2@ 75′, 2@ 60′
CABLE: 12@ 5′, 11@ 10′, 10@ 25′, 6@ 50′
4 – 10′ booms w/ bases
26 twofers, 8 sidearms, 8 fan-outs, 1 fan-in
- Although the venue owns JBL cabinets and DOLBY processing, this is a film sound application only. No house system. Quotes on live event sound reinforcement are available upon request.
- Hearing assist devices are available for our audiences.
- House left and right curtains drawn for non-amplified performances only.
- 17-line hemp system (MULTILINE II), pinloft located stage left 28′ above deck level
- Fixed and reserve line sets as follows:
- #1 House Valance (variable set trim height) #3, 5, 8 and 17 half-ton chain hoist motorized non-moveable 14″ x 38′ aluminum truss
- Film screen between #4 and #5 is non-moveable
- #7 is film sound baffle and non (re)moveable
- Grid is 50′ 6″; battens fly to 48′ 6″
- Maximum set piece height is 21′ 6″
- Maximum travel is 18′ 6″
- 4 pair 10′ x 25′ black velour legs
- 3 black teasers 7′ x 36′
- 2-piece full-stage black, each panel 25′ x 20′ w/sewn-in fullness (travels in and out only)
- 1 seamless Cyclorama 25′ x 38′ w
- 1 Grand Traveler (at plaster line, 13-second open/close; control stage left & light booth)
- 1 Grand Valance (variable set trim height)
- One large dressing room with sink, 13′ 6″ x 15′ 6″ with exit to parking lot
- Two dressing rooms with sinks, 7′ x 12′ 6″
- Ample lights and mirrors in all dressing rooms
- Two private restrooms
- Two rolling wardrobe racks
- One clothes iron, one ironing board
- No showers available on premises
- No laundry facility on premises
888 seats (42 temporary seats may be added in front orchestra if event technical specs allow for a total of 930 seats)
STAGE RIGGING LOAD LIMITATIONS
The total standard limit for the rope rigging linesets is 290 LBS.
This number includes 190 LBS. of rigging components, therefore:
- Total additional loading is limited to 100# per rope rigging lineset.
- Any rope set may be loaded up to 400 LBS.; however the total additional loading of all linesets within a 3-foot space shall not exceed 400 LBS.
- The chain hoist trusses have an allowable additional uniform distributed load limit of 500 LBS.
- As per Francis J. Forcier, P.E. Renovation Project Structural Engineer (letters dated Feb. 14 & 23, 1995, on file in the Colonial office)
For further technical specifications, contact Director of Production and Facility, Greg Moore,
at 603/357-1233 x105 or email@example.com.
For more information about event rentals, corporate rentals, meetings, film screenings, or weddings, contact Alec Doyle at 603/357-1233 x102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.